This gluten-free dish is packed with vegetables but doesn’t skimp on taste. Breadfruit is a nutrient-dense superfood that contains protein, fiber, and health-boosting vitamins and minerals.
Noodle-less Breadfruit and Eggplant Lasagna
You won't miss the pasta in this flavorful veggie-packed gluten-free breadfruit and eggplant "lasagna."
- 3-4 small eggplants, thinly sliced or 1-2 large eggplants
- 1 breadfruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4-5 fresh tomatoes, chopped or 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1.25 lbs ground buffalo or grass-fed beef
- 1 can black olives, sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh oregano
- 2/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups greens (spinach, kale, or chard)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup avocado oil, divided
- 1 cup parmesan, shredded
- 1 cup goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel breadfruit, thinly slice, and remove the core (see video).
- Place breadfruit slices on a baking sheet, lightly brush with avocado oil. Bake for 25 minutes, or until breadfruit is soft.
- Thinly slice eggplant, place on a baking sheet, lightly brush with avocado oil. Bake for 15 minutes, or until eggplant is soft.
- Chop onion and add a small amount of avocado oil. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add buffalo or beef to sauté pan. Add smoked paprika and sauté until meat is brown.
- Add tomatoes to meat and sauté for 5-10 minutes. Add rosemary, oregano, basil and olives. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. Add greens and stir until slightly wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a baking dish layer tomato-meat sauce, breadfruit, eggplant, and cheese until baking dish is full (see video below).
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve.